16 August 2011

Some Highlights of the Week...

~ Meeting Some Ladies...In an attempt to meet some women and practice some language I went to a salon for a pedicure. When I walked in there were 5 women just sitting there!...However, I was disappointed when they took me upstairs for a man to give the pedicure! (Not at all what I expected). After my somewhat awkward pedicure I went back downstairs and visited with the ladies for about 30 minutes! They were very kind and hospitable to me and gracious with my limited language. Two of the women were M*sl*m, two were H*nd* and the other claims to be a believer. I am excited to go back this week to visit with them again and would appreciate you lifting up further opportunities to know these ladies!

~New Friends...Last Thursday I spent the afternoon with my conversation teacher and her family. It was a precious time with Tina and her sweet family. They are all followers of JC and Tina's sister-in-law is actually from the state where I will be going. Neither Tina or her family speak much English so I was able to use every bit of language I know! I was so excited to learn that Tina enjoys sewing as well. She is very talented and makes all kinds of bags, table runners, cushion covers, and much more. We had such fun looking at her designs and talking about other possibilities. She also has a heart for women that are impoverished. She teaches them to sew and then helps them sell their products to become self sufficient....How sweet of the Father to provide a language helper and friend who shares so many of my interests and passions! 

~New Experiences...I took my first train ride this past weekend! I did really know what to expect but it was a great experience. 

~Surprise Finds...I was super excited about this find in an import grocery store over the weekend...
 In case you are wondering, that, my friends, is a Starbucks Frappuccino!!! Not only did I find one in the cooler, just waiting for me to drink it, but I was able to get one to bring back with me!

~Seeing Friends...I was able to visit with a family from my training in VA. I haven't seen them since we first arrived and were still in jetlag. It was great to see them again and hang out their new house!

~National Holidays...Experiencing Independence Day in the capital city! On of the traditions is to fly kites from the rooftops. This picture doesn't really do it justice because it was really cool to see, but hopefully you get the idea.
Those little dots in the sky are kites:)

~ Summit Peeps...I was able to hang out with a volunteer team from my fellowship in NC before they headed back to the states. It was great sightseeing, shopping, and hanging out with them. So thankful for their encouragement and support!


No comments:

Post a Comment