28 October 2011

Same-Same Similar....More adventures in furniture

Who knew choosing a couch could be be so difficult. As I looked around at furniture stores here everything was SO expensive and not really that great. Then I went back and forth between getting a couch that looked more South Asian and less American. What to do? I finally decided to get a more western couch as I had visions of curling up on nice soft cushions with the Word, my journal, and a cup of coffee. I mean I already live here so it's okay if my house looks a little more like home. Right? But I digress....

They store where we bought our mattresses also sells furniture, custom made furniture. The salesman gave me a book to pick out the couch I wanted. I was pretty pumped and a little stressed because I have never bought my own furniture, let alone pick the design, color, and fabric. I looked through the book several times. Drank some chai. Left the store and went for a little walk to think before settling on something. Came back and looked through the books again. As I showed the salesman what I wanted I asked if it would look like the picture.  
"Oh yes, Madam. (South Asian head bobble) Same-same, similar." 
I thought, that is a strange choice of words but whatever. I asked if the cushions would be like the picture. You know soft and comfortable.
"Oh yes, Madam. Same-same, similar."
Ok really dude. Same and similar do NOT mean the SAME thing. "Will my couch be the same OR similar to the picture?"
"Same-same, similar." (Intense head bobbling)
I finally realized I better ask what they can make and choose from those. But he assured me they could do whatever I wanted. I left pretty confident I was getting a couch that was same-same, similar to one I was sitting on, not the picture in the book...

Sarah and I went back to the store the next day to choose some curtains. As we were looking at some fabric samples we asked the salesman if he had those in the store....
"Oh yes, Madam. Same-same different!" We nearly lost it! For the last two weeks we have been anticipating the arrival of our couches and eager to see if they were similar, or different to what we chose.


The couch came on Wednesday and let's just say it is NOT the same one I chose and the cushions are... well they are a little softer than my tile floor. Also the Marlins and I have the same-same couches, just different colors. I guess that makes them same-same similar, right?

So I will let you decide....
Same, same similar or same, same different.

The picture I liked.  
The couch I got...and yes that is a really bright orange
flowery wall in my living room. I am hoping to paint soon.
But in the meantime....GO VOLS!




So it is really not that bad and I am thankful to just have a place to sit. While I may never go back to that store for furniture, I will always remember the salesman and be thankful for giving me a great laugh and phrase to sum up life here when no words can express....

Life in South Asia is....well, it's same-same different:)

No comments:

Post a Comment